Saturday, March 21, 2009

Spring Has Sprung


Thursday's theme over at One Powerful Hour is Spring. It's about time! I can't speak for everyone in New England but to me this past winter was incredibly l o n g. We're all jumping for joy here in Maine. With that said I decided to be different and go with the literal meaning of the word spring rather than the season Spring. The total time I spent on this ATC was an hour, or less, including the mistake I made! However that's not taking into consideration drying time. First I did the standard quick gesso background: a couple of coats making sure the brush strokes went every which way and then a oouple of green and then blue acrylic washes wiped over with a baby wipe. You know the drill. When that dried I lettered "Spring" with a calligraphy marker. Then I glued down the spring with a glop of gel medium. The parts didn't seem to make the whole so I put in the comic book style action lines to pull it together. Because of the gel the whole thing had to dry for hours.

Remember I said I made a mistake? At first I wanted to do just a plain white gesso background and the calligraphy right on top of that for that minimalist look. Add the spring. Done. Post it on the blog. Well I thought I lettered "Spring". I took a second look and it was really "Sprig". Stupid. So I slapped on more gesso. I let that dry but I could still see a shadow of "Sprig" so then I did the washes of color. Overall it probably came out better than it would of with my original idea.

4 comments:

Wine-Beer-Washington said...

I love art "mistakes". When I saw the finished image, I saw and felt spring. The washes illustrated both definitions of spring and Spring to me.
We had snow again in Seattle last week and that is just too weird. My Lenton roses and crocuses are in full bloom or I would have NO idea what time of year is is!

Sliloh said...

I like it! I'm so very ready too, it's been a long winter.

Anita

Unknown said...

Oh this is Fabulous! And I so understand and have made the same spelling mistake...I think correcting/accedpting/incorpoating mistakes is what makes a true artist...after all perfection is borring :)

love that you thought outside the box!

Thanks for taking the challenge.

Fiona said...

What a great piece - love the originality