Sunday, July 18, 2010

Bookbinding Gone Wrong!


Eons ago I made a book block on tapes but hadn't made a set of covers. When I saw yesterday that the weekly challenge at Inspiration Avenue was Books I thought well I can just quickly finish the covers, attach the tapes to the cover, be done with it and post it like I had worked for days on end. Ha! I had also made fake leather out of a paper bag using a top secret recipe. I knew I wanted to use that to cover some mat board for the book covers. Well the twill tape I had used was polyester so glue didn't stick to the tape or the fake leather cover and the edges frayed. So I pulled out the tapes from the 3 groups of stitching.


Another dumb thing I did was to endpaper the inside of the covers with a nice diamond pattern paper. I didn't want to glue the first and last pages of the book block down over the nice paper to attach the covers that way so what to do?! I took a deep breath and cut those two pages and then glued them down like I really meant to do that all along! I think I actually like how it looks... a book rising from the covers or a book melting into the covers, take your pick.


Unfortunately the spine feels flimsy and really needs to have tapes through the 3 groups of stiching. I think if I worked long tapes through I could just tie 3 bows at the fore edge. If that is too busy I could just tie one bow. Even thinking about bows at all seems too busy. 3 small buckles would work much better. Stay tuned!

Here are some examples of book blocks on tape so you know what the heck I'm talking about!

3 comments:

Luthien Thye said...

hi there :)
firstly, thank you for playing with us on IA :) your faux leather book cover is awesome! the leather effects turned out perfectly. the binding is unique too... but i can understand why you say it's flimsy. from what i see, this binding without a spine is closer to a coptic stitched book. and coptic stitched books never FEEL as sturdy as the traditionally stitched ones. i dun think you're doing anything wrong here. it's just the way coptic stitches are. but dun be fooled, coptic books are in fact quite a tough. :)
HUGS!!
luthien :)

A rootdigger said...

I think it looks good. If it is a coffee table book, and not opened all that much it will work.
I have a source book for families and I over used the flimsy paper back now pages are falling out. I need to redo somehow.
In case I get to book binding, this was good to know. I have a book somewhere about making book covers.........

Krasimir Todor said...

Thank to Mr. Benjamin for helping me acquire my VA Mortgage loan. It was great receiving my loan of $900,000 USD from this loan lender. My name is Krasimir Todor am Belgian. I got my loan from this reputable loan lender on the 20th of November 2019 and I want to quickly use this medium to tell everyone here that you can acquire any loan from this credible loan company. A VA loan lender is not easy to come by and it must be recommended by the Department of Veteran Affairs. Mr Benjamin will give you loans at low-interest rates of 2% rate and very fast. Get your loans at Email: 247officedept@gmail.com or on Whatsapp number: + 1-989-394-3740